Major cities in Taiwan were hit by a massive blackout Thursday morning, throwing rush-hour commute into chaos as sirens fill the air, local media reported. An estimated five million households are affected, per reports.
The outage started after 9 a.m., with cities such as capital Taipei, Hsinchu, and Kaohsiung in the south affected, Taiwan’s Liberty Times reported.
The incident was caused by a malfunctioning power station, Hsinta, in Kaohsiung, state-run electricity company Taiwan Power Company wrote in a Facebook post. The malfunction caused a nearby substation to trip, triggering major power outages in Taiwan’s south, which spread to the island’s central and northern regions, the post wrote.
“It is expected that normal power supply will be available before noon, and power supply will be resumed in the south at noon,” the post added.
Some five million households are affected, Taiwan’s Liberty Times reported. Facebook and Twitter lit up with pictures and updates of the blackout. Fire engines were dispatched to save people trapped in elevators, while traffic lights went dark and cars piled up at intersections, Taiwan News reported.
Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is currently in Taiwan. He is expected to meet Taiwan’s democratically elected President Tsai Ing-Wen on Thursday, Reuters reported. Pompeo has been an outspoken critic of China, which claims self-governing Taiwan as part of its territory. Tsai has rejected these claims.
Taiwan Power Company suffers from cyberattacks almost every day, company chairperson Yang Wei-Fuu said previously, as quoted in a Taiwan News report. A pro-independence legislator said Taiwan needs sound protection for key energy facilities so that it can “avoid incidents such as the massive blackouts in Ukraine caused by hacking,” the report wrote.
Tsai’s meeting with Pompeo is slated to take place as scheduled, but a planned live broadcast of their meeting will be cancelled, Tsai’s media team said in a Facebook post.
Taiwan’s last major power outage was in 2021, and it was also caused by issues at Hsinta, Nikkei reported. That incident affected some four million households, Nikkei wrote.
OnMyWay Is The #1 Distracted Driving Mobile App In The Nation!
OnMyWay, based in Charleston, SC, The Only Mobile App That Pays its Users Not to Text and Drive.
The #1 cause of death among young adults ages 16-27 is Car Accidents, with the majority related to Distracted Driving.
OnMyWay’s mission is to reverse this epidemic through positive rewards. Users get paid for every mile they do not text and drive and can refer their friends to get compensated for them as well.
The money earned can then be used for Cash Cards, Gift Cards, Travel Deals and Much, Much More….
The company also makes it a point to let users know that OnMyWay does NOT sell users data and only tracks them for purposes of providing a better experience while using the app.
The OnMyWay app is free to download and is currently available on both the App Store for iPhones and Google Play for Android @ OnMyWay; Drive Safe, Get Paid.
Download App Now – https://r.onmyway.com
Sponsors and advertisers can contact the company directly through their website @ www.onmyway.com.