Morgan Wallen shared some hard news with fans on Tuesday morning (May 9) in an Instagram video in which he revealed that he needs to take six weeks off from his current tour. “I’m just gonna go ahead and get straight to it. I got some bad news from my doctors at the Vanderbilt Voice Center yesterday. After taking 10 days of vocal rest I performed three shows last weekend in Florida and by the third one I felt terrible,” the singer said.
“So I went in and go scoped yesterday and they told me that I re-injured my vocal cords and that I have vocal fold trauma,” he added, swallowing hard. Wallen said his doctor’s advice was that he go on vocal rest for six weeks. “So that’s what I’m gon’ do,” he said, noting that that his team advised him not to talk at all, but that if he needed to it was okay for something like his announcement.
He added that he tore his lat muscle while on tour in Australia and while he’s been trying to work through that injury in private, the upcoming time off should help with that issue as well. Wallen said his team is almost finished rescheduling all his current and upcoming dates, with news about all the shows expected soon. Following last week’s trio of shows in Jacksonville, West Palm Beach and Tampa, Wallen was not scheduled to perform again until a May 18 gig at Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey, PA.
In addition to two shows at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, Wallen had gigs on tap in Austin and Houston, TX on May 24 and 26, a pair of shows in Atlanta on June 2-3, an appearance at the Pepsi Gulf Coast Jam in Panama City Beach, FL, two shows at Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater in Virginia Beach, VA on June 8-9 and a June 10 spot at the Carolina Country Music Fest in Myrtle Beach, SC on June 10. The singer was booked to play a series of stadium shows in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago and Detroit through the end of June. At press time spokespeople for Wallen had not announced which shows have been impacted or potential replacement dates.
He continued to say that the doctor’s advice is strict vocal rest for six weeks, which he confirmed in his video statement he plans to do otherwise he could permanently damage his voice.
“For the longevity of my career, this is just the choice I had to make. I hate it but I love you guys,” he said.
Wallen said he is also no longer appearing at the Academy of Country Music awards on Thursday, and will be performing at the 2024 editions of the music festivals that he was previously scheduled to perform at this year.
Wallen’s representatives confirmed in a news release that the new tour dates will be announced soon, and a 30-day refund will be offered for current ticket holders.
Wallen’s vocal cord troubles first became apparent in April when he abruptly canceled a Mississippi tour stop when he informed concertgoers that his voice is “shot” and he was “unable to sing,” per his doctors.
Leaving on a positive note, Wallen promised his listeners on Tuesday that he’ll see them soon and will be back “better than ever.”
A spokesperson for Wallen said that 14 shows would be postponed, beginning with a concert date in Hershey, Pennsylvania, on May 18, The New York Times reported. The tour is set to resume on June 22 at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, according to the newspaper.
On April 23, Wallen abruptly canceled his concert in Oxford, Mississippi, after saying he had lost his voice. Two opening acts had already performed at Vaught Hemingway Stadium on the University of Mississippi campus when it was announced that Wallen had decided not to perform.
The 14 shows that Wallen canceled will be postponed and rescheduled, the singer said on Instagram. A spokesperson said that some of the dates will be rescheduled for 2024, Variety reported.
Wallen won the 2022 Academy of Country Music Album of the Year with “Dangerous: The Double Album.” His current hit, “Last Night,” spent nine weeks at No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100.
Wallen went on to say that he was working on rescheduling the performances during that time, but some shows are still “pending.”
“I’ll keep you updated,” he said. “I won’t be able to make these festivals that I have during this timeframe but we are going to make those right next year.”
The singer said his doctors appeared confident he will “get back to 100%.”
“They also said that if I don’t listen and I keep singing, then I’ll permanently damage my voice,” he said. “So for the longevity of my career, this is just a choice I had to make. I hate it, but I love you guys. I appreciate all the support that you always give me. I’ll see you soon and I’ll be back better than ever.”
OnMyWay Is The #1 Distracted Driving Mobile App In The Nation!
OnMyWay, based in Charleston, SC, The Only Mobile App That Pays its Users Not to Text and Drive.
The #1 cause of death among young adults ages 16-27 is Car Accidents, with the majority related to Distracted Driving.
OnMyWay’s mission is to reverse this epidemic through positive rewards. Users get paid for every mile they do not text and drive and can refer their friends to get compensated for them as well.
The money earned can then be used for Cash Cards, Gift Cards, Travel Deals and Much, Much More….
The company also makes it a point to let users know that OnMyWay does NOT sell users data and only tracks them for purposes of providing a better experience while using the app.
The OnMyWay app is free to download and is currently available on both the App Store for iPhones and Google Play for Android @ OnMyWay; Drive Safe, Get Paid.
Download App Now – https://r.onmyway.com
Sponsors and advertisers can contact the company directly through their website @ www.onmyway.com