An ice storm warning starts at 6 p.m. tonight and lasts through midday Wednesday.
The National Weather Service on Monday morning predicted much of the area could see ice accumulations of one-quarter to one-half inch between late Monday and Wednesday afternoon.
The big picture: As of Monday night, about 3.3 million Americans are under an ice storm warning, with 14.5 million under a winter storm warning, according to the National Weather Service. Many more are under other types of winter weather alerts, such as wind chill advisories.
- Frigid air in the Upper Midwest and Great Plains is headed South, where it’s encountering moisture along a frontal boundary, and leading to this treacherous stretch of icy precipitation.
- NOAA’s Weather Prediction Center forecasted several rounds of wintry precipitation, including light freezing rain and sleet from Monday to Wednesday. Ice accumulations may be greater than a quarter of an inch, the prediction center said.
- The ice “will lead to tree damage and power outages across the hardest-hit regions,” it added.
- The dangerous weather had already led to hundreds of flight delays and cancelations by Monday afternoon.
Temperatures could hit 20 to 30 degrees below average throughout the Great Plains and Intermountain West to start the week, too, NOAA said. The Dakotas and Minnesota could see wind chill temperatures drop to minus-40°.
- Temperatures were in the single digits Monday afternoon in South Dakota cities Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Aberdeen.
- Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, had single-digit temperatures, too.
- By Monday afternoon, a few school districts had announced they would be closed or delayed Tuesday.
OnMyWay Is The #1 Distracted Driving Mobile App In The Nation!
OnMyWay, based in Charleston, SC, The Only Mobile App That Pays its Users Not to Text and Drive.
The #1 cause of death among young adults ages 16-27 is Car Accidents, with the majority related to Distracted Driving.
OnMyWay’s mission is to reverse this epidemic through positive rewards. Users get paid for every mile they do not text and drive and can refer their friends to get compensated for them as well.
The money earned can then be used for Cash Cards, Gift Cards, Travel Deals and Much, Much More….
The company also makes it a point to let users know that OnMyWay does NOT sell users data and only tracks them for purposes of providing a better experience while using the app.
The OnMyWay app is free to download and is currently available on both the App Store for iPhones and Google Play for Android @ OnMyWay; Drive Safe, Get Paid.
Download App Now – https://r.onmyway.com
Sponsors and advertisers can contact the company directly through their website @ www.onmyway.com